‘Doing what is good.’ This letter to Titus starts with ‘the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness’ (Titus 1:1) Doing good/being godly – it’s the goodness that comes from knowing God that changes society!
1. If the Cross is preached, the result is good works. We read of ‘our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ who gave himself for us, to redeem us …. and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, EAGER TO DO WHAT IS GOOD’ (Titus 2:13,14).
2. If a person is saved, the result is good works. ‘And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to DOING WHAT IS GOOD’ (Titus 3:8).
3. If the Scriptures are taught, the result is good works and blameless living. ‘Teach…. teach…. teach… SO THAT NO ONE WILL MALIGN THE WORD OF GOD’ (Titus 2:1,2,3,5; see 2 Timothy 3:16,17).
4. If the leadership is exemplary, the result is good works. (Titus 2: 7,8): ‘In everything, set them an example by DOING WHAT IS GOOD’
5. If the witness is consistent the result will be good works. ‘to try to please…. not to talk back…. not to steal…. be fully trusted, SO THAT…. THEY WILL MAKE THE TEACHING ABOUT GOD OUR SAVIOUR ATTRACTIVE’ (Titus 2:10) – and this was addressed to the supposed dregs of society, the slaves!
The expectation (Titus 2: 12,13) is that we live ‘self-controlled, upright and godly lives’ as we wait for Christ’s ‘appearing.’ He’s coming back!